Friday, May 28, 2010

Going to the Zoo






For the first time ever I did a day trip with my boys. Sure I go out a lot. I do library story times, and play group and park meets. But I have never tried anything like the zoo by myself. Now, let me be clear. The Lehigh Valley Zoo is not anything spectacular. It is small and simple. And yet, it can be a lot of fun.


The boys were very excited when they found out what we were doing. I packed them each a lunch in back-packs. The only one who was a fail was Josh's bag. I didn't have enough real backpacks so I tried to use one of those sports sacks. I think I need more backpacks.


LV Zoo was so empty that my guys could just run and play without bugging other people. Also, I didn't have to worry about losing them in a crowd. Of the three boys. I have one who stays with me, one who lags, and one runs ahead. And they often switch roles mid trip. So when a place is wide open I worry less and shout less for everyone to stay together.

The Animals at this zoo are a mix between the natives to the slightly exotic. And there were opportunities for the kids to get hands on with some of the animals. At one point they were in a bird cage where they could see the birds up close. If we paid more we could have cups of nectar and allow them to land on us (I chose not to do that). Below they are brushing the goats.



All in all it was a great way to spend a day with my boys. I told Catherine that we were going before she left for school. While she was disappointed to be missing out on the adventure, she understood that she would get other opportunities. When we came home I let Catherine see the pictures of the animals that we took and she has a few on her "side" of the computer. With her photo-editing software she can now animate the pictures and have lots of fun with them.

2 comments:

  1. you have the cutest kids! i love their hats:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the matching hats. I don't like it when they match clothing because then I get them all mixed up. But they love to try and match each other even if they all wear the same colors.
    We took them to an Iron Pigs game (AAA Phillies affiliate) and the hats were a free give away to all kids. So all 4 kids now have the same hat and they wear them all the time.

    And thanks for the compliment. I think they are mighty cute too!

    ReplyDelete