Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A materialistic pondering

I have decided to create a house warming registry. I set a fictitious date in September of 2011, because I am not sure if I will have an official party.
Well... let me try that again.
I wanted to have a huge party. Paul didn't. I didn't want to plan it all by myself so we compromised. We are having a small scale friends only party this September. And an open house/1st communion party in the spring with the whole family.
So a friend asked if I was going to register so I did. I am not really announcing it to people but if someone asks if we want anything for the house I can point them in the right direction. Every few days I add to my list of things I would like to have. There are things I would like replacing (certain appliances), and things I just don't have. All of it is going on the list.
Right now I am debating the wisdom of the single serve coffee makers. Paul and I don't drink coffee, and neither of us can make coffee. Throughout the year we host people in our house but never serve coffee. A few years ago my mom bought me a junky machine that now collects dust. We had coffee for it once, made a pot served it up and then were grossed out when cleaning it. We also never think to bring it out and coffee doesn't keep forever so we don't actually have any coffee to put in it. It doesn't make sense for me to buy a can for a party then let it go bad before the next gathering.
So this single serve thing. It's expensive which is the biggest reason to not want it. I would only be using it for parties and guests. I drink tea so I suppose I could get the tea for it, but they work out to be about $1/cup. I'm 99% sure that my tea-pot and tea bags are a lot cheaper than that. I guess I just want to be a better host, and serve coffee, but I am having a hard time adding something so big to the list when it is not a high priority for me to have it. Honestly, I want a new toaster oven more.
So, what do I do? Do I add it? or do I just let it go and continue to be the house that doesn't serve coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment