Thursday, September 23, 2010

My time to relax.

When I was growing up television was very much a part of our lives. There was one in our living room, one in our kitchen and one in my parents room. It was on a lot and every night we'd have our shows to watch. Mornings was cartoon time, afternoons I don't think we had it on. Evenings it was the news followed by our shows we liked.
When I was a teenager my dad and I would sit and watch the darker shows together. X-files, Homicide, Law and Order. My sisters and I used to drive my dad crazy with 7th Heaven which butted up against monday night football (we wouldn't relinquish the main tv until after the show was all the way done).
When we were young there were 3 tvs in the house and some nights they were all going. One person would be huddled in the kitchen watching their show, one of my parents might be hiding in their room (we never went up there) and then the main tv would be going. In our house it was first come first serve (Unless my dad wanted to claim his rights). Now my brothers and I are out of the house but my two sisters live there. They each have a tv in their room.
(disclaimer: even though we watched a lot of tv I still remember being very active kids)
When Paul and I got married and moved in together we decided there would be no tv in our bedroom. Right now we have two televisions. One in the living room and one in the kids playroom.
The kids watch a little tv in the morning while I'm getting ready for the day (but not until they are dressed and ready to go). In the afternoon they get a movie (this replaced nap time) to help keep them calm and give them rest. There are days when they do watch too much tv and then there are days when it might be on for 10 minutes.
Clearly I don't come from an anti-tv camp. I do want it controlled by I am not against it. I think a bit of tv is harmless. For the kids, it sparks their imagination bringing characters to life. When they watch television they do calm down for a bit. This is good because my kids don't nap but still need a break, and they aren't smart enough to just sit and relax when they are tired. When my kids are tired they fight and get rammy.
I will say it now. I will fully admit it. I am a tv junkie. I have a DVR and it's loaded with shows. Tonight Grey's Anatomy airs its latest season and I can't wait. I know how pathetic that is. I get it. But it has become my escape at the end of the day. I put my kids to bed and I can sit for an hour or two and relax in front of the mind numbing shows.
I watch shows that have no redeeming value. I have a full line-up of things I want to watch. And the shows on premium channels? That's what netflix is for.
Feel free to judge me. Feel free to think less of me. I'm not apologetic.
I read books too. And again most of them are embarrassingly bad. Some are dirty. Most are thrillers. I don't read romance books, but I do read romantic thrillers.
I read them fast. And I am capable of going through a book in a day. I have read all of the Harry Potter books and a few of them while taking care of a newborn. I remember propping the book on the corner of the couch while holding baby and feeding with a bottle. Yup I am that kind of mom.
I can let a book get in the way of child care. But I haven't. I get obsessed. And I am fully aware of it.
These are my vices. My tv and my books.

2 comments:

  1. interesting. i always like hearing others opinions on TV (wrote a post on it way back). i didn't grow up with tv as a kid. i just read, played and sewed. in a lot of ways that was good educationally. we currently don't have cable (can't afford it) and one TV. wish we could afford it, but maybe it's for the better.

    i let christopher watch one show a day Super Why on PBS bc it's educational and like you i need to get ready in the morning. i watch maybe 2-3 shows a week. i don't think there's anything wrong with TV for adults. i just feel really guilt about watching TV for some reason like i could be doing something more productive. to make up for it i tend to fold clothes or iron or something while it's on.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need a break sometimes. I like to think that when my kids are in bed my day is done. I am off the clock and it's time for me to relax.
    TV happens to be what I like to do when I have me time.
    My kids used to love Super Why. Lately they have been watching more of the bigger kid stuff on Cartoon Network. This summer, Catherine realized that those shows were a bit childish for her, and so she influenced her brothers. But in reality she watches the least amount of tv out of all of us. She prefers to read for her down time.

    ReplyDelete