Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas in the Air


Advent is rapidly coming to a close. It is apparent in so many ways. My Lego Calendar is nearly complete. The boys have been loving this treat. Every day since December 1 we have opened one window. Each day they get a new Lego piece to put together. They spend hours in front of this rickety table playing with the Legos. We have lost a few pieces and hopefully they will turn up.
Other proof that Advent is nearly over is the growing number of handmade ornaments on our tree. This year Catherine and I have been working on the Jesse Tree. Each day we have a Bible reading, each reading has a symbol which gets hung on the tree. So with the traditional Christmas balls, and first Christmas ornaments we have a technicolor coat, apple with a snake, lion and lamb... It's really fun to be reminded of these great stories. It has
also opened a side of Catherine I never expected. She loves reading from the Bible. So much so that I had to promise to buy her one for Christmas. I wrapped it last night. I wanted to inscribe something in it but was at loss for words. Maybe after Christmas I'll go in and highlight my favorite passage (1 Cor 10:13).
My Christmas shopping is done, but the wrapping is not. The last few days I have started the wrapping. I don't hide from the kids the stuff that is not for them. So the family gifts are nearly done. Last night Paul and I took care of Catherine's and Joshua's gifts. It's fun yet tedious to wrap. I just keep thinking the hours put in to wrapping will be undone within minutes.
Our baking is also nearly done. We have huge storage boxes filled with cookies and I
think Paul is considering making a few more batches. I also do gift jars every year. It's a great way to knock out teachers, neighbors, and some extended family too. They are simple gifts that are cheap to make and always appreciated. Every year I pick out a few recipes and set up shop. The kids get to help putting the ingredients in as well. It gives them a sense of ownership when handing over the gifts to various people. Among the recipes this year was a cookie that uses four kinds of chips. It looks yummy and I look forward to actually cooking a batch. A few years back I handed out a recipe that is a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. We make those now every year as part of our Christmas cookies to give away. It's really yummy.
Anyway... I love Advent for all that it is. All those preparations, the anticipation I love it. I love getting ready. Getting ready for Jesus, without whom would I be here? Would I be who I am? Getting ready for fun times with the family. I'm ready. The candles are lit. The decorations are up. The gifts are bought. A few more days and it's celebration time. And if we are being truly honest. The best celebration will come just a few days after Christmas for me this year. My brother and sister-in-law are due soon with their first baby. This brings me great joy. I will be an Aunt for the first time. My kids will have a baby cousin to adore for the first time. Truly this Christmas Season will rock. (Even if my kids keep the annual tradition of getting sick at Christmas)

No comments:

Post a Comment