Saturday, November 6, 2010

The best $30 I ever spent.

This week has been a very trying one at best. I wrote earlier about my fight with the cold. I am winning by the way.
My fight with poison ivy? I am losing. back in August I had my first experience with it and it was horrible. I didn't even know I had it in my yard. And about two weeks after I started cleaning out the backyard overgrowth I broke out. It was bad. My legs and arms were covered. After prolonged suffering I went to the doctor and got drugs and a shot. The shot hurt like I couldn't have expected. But after a few days my angry red splotches faded into a lovely map of brownish scars and then faded away completely.
So weeks pass and my husband tries to conquer our overgrowth. He wasn't fully covered and he broke out all over his arms and legs. His clears up and we again attempt to go bring down the poison ivy. I was protected head to toe. As soon as we were done for the day I threw out my gloves and tossed my clothes in the wash.
A week later and the blisters and splotches are coming on. So here we go again.

But really that's not the point of this post. It's been a miserable week for sure. But my boys have been awesome! Only problem is that I scheduled a family portrait for today, and I am far from ready. My nose is a lovely shade of red from all the nose blowing. This years photo will look great with my dried cracked skin. And the breakouts, that's been fun this week too. Meanwhile, my boys.... Their hair was out of control.
I have three boys. And they are "all boy." Meaning, they run, they play, they tackle, they don't sit still for very long. Also, have you seen the price of kids hair cuts these days $12 at the cheap places! A few years ago I discovered the joy and ease of the buzz cut. Why not just shave it off for the summer. It's only hair.
Last Summer I realized that I shouldn't be paying upwards of $40 every few weeks to keep my boys hair tamed. Is is me or does boys hair grow faster? I take Catherine twice a year, and the boys every 3 months. I finally went out and invested in some clippers. I gave it a try in the spring and it turns out buzz cuts are amazingly easy. Later I went out and got a cape to contain the mess. In the spring and summer I take off their shirts stand them on a stool and buzz away. I have come to realize the only thing I still need is trimmers to do the neck and ears. I get by with what I have now, but eventually I would like to have the trimmers.

I'll tell you what. This is so much easier than taking them out to get their hair cut. I will try to learn how to do more than just buzzing, but for now it works. I don't have to wait in line, deal with energetic kids, and I can do it when I feel like it. The clippers paid for themselves in the first use. Since I bought them last spring I figure I have saved well over $100 in hair cuts. Yesterday I cleaned up the twins so they would be ready for todays pictures.
Take a look:

Before (it's really bad around ears and back)



After: boy has a crooked forehead. I had to shave his forehead. :)


Before


After:



2 comments:

  1. they make the cutest faces! i'm thinking of doing the same thing once the boys get bigger. hopefully i'll do as good a job as you, i have shaking hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing Buzz cuts is really easy. Shaky hands or not, it's hard to mess up.

    ReplyDelete