Monday, January 3, 2011

and we all go back to work.

Monday Morning. January 3. It's 9:15 and my house is empty. This is a thing of beauty. On December 23 at 12:20 my two older kids came barreling off the bus and thus began the Christmas Holiday.

It has been a lovely holiday season. And I dare say it, we officially broke our Sickmas tradition. Last year was the first year that our family survived the Holiday season without someone in the house getting sick. We've had years where we were hit by nasty stomach bugs, and years with upper-respitory infections that have landed us in the ER on New Years Eve. Last year was the first year we stayed healthy, this year is our second and I am now declaring that tradition long dead.

This year we stayed on top of our shopping and wrapping and baking and all other manners of preparation so that final week before Christmas was truly a relaxing week. We got to wait with joyful anticipation for the fun that was just around the corner. The Monday before Christmas all four of the kids had parties at school and I got to participate in all of them. I started at 9am with the Kindergarten/1st grade party. At 10:30 I walked across the hall to join the pre-schoolers for their Christmas show and party to follow. Then at 11:30 I made it up to the second floor for my daughters 2nd grade class party. It was a busy day for me, but oh so much fun.

Our family Christmas celebrations began on Christmas Eve, and we go non-stop on the Christmas celebrating until the day after. We travel a lot and the kids have learned how to handle that well. The week between Christmas and New Years, however, is my favorite. It's quiet, low key, unscheduled time. The kids get to look more closely at all the toys they got. They get to spend time playing with each of their new items.

I like getting up when I feel like it, not when I have to. The kids got up late all week and first thing they wanted to do was play. All in all it was a great week. And now, after a week of free play it's time to head back to the grindstone. We partied and played right through Sunday afternoon. Celebrating New Years day at my grandmothers house in South Philly (catching the Mummers Parade) on Saturday, and my Nephew's first birthday on Sunday.

We got home Sunday night in time to give the kids showers and put them to bed. Then I re-set my alarms that have been joyfully silent all week (I have five different alarms/alerts that go off during the week).

The week off was wonderful, but I am happy to get back to the grindstone. I am happy to send the kids back to school and for me to return to my "normal" busy routine. I love the break, and the time off, but it's time to get back to it. This week I will finally put away the last of the Christmas toys. I will sweep away the remaining mess from last week, and sadly this coming weekend we will pack up Christmas until next year.

1 comment: