Thursday, August 18, 2011

wind down. wind up.

It's that time again.

Summer vacation is rolling to a stop. Funny how it starts off with a bang. You move so fast through the days and weeks. And then the final weeks seem to take a little longer as you gear up for the next transition.

My Summer Vacation rocked. Most of the time. I took the kids to the Zoo (twice). We went to the beach. We went to the pool. We completed our Summer Reading Programs at the local library. We went to the movies.

I kept the kids busy, and at the same time we spent lots of time at home. It was wonderful. The kids sleep in until well after 8 most mornings. Every day has started the lazy way. Making our way downstairs and through breakfast. While eating the kids always ask "What are we doing today?"

Some days we had lots to do some days we didn't. To the kids it didn't matter either way. They spent their vacation playing and having fun. But now we are down to the final two weeks of vacation. The school supplies box has resurfaced. Uniforms have been fitted. We are here in the home stretch.

I'm happy for it. Just as I was happy for the start of summer. I am happy for the start of our next adventure. This year will be the first that all four kids will be in school at the same time. I am thrilled beyond measure. I cannot believe that we have finally have come to this point.

I'm hoping for more changes this year. I'm praying for it. Five years ago I gave up my teaching post to stay home with my growing family. It was too much to work full-time with four small children. Day-care was far too expensive. Not to mention the ability to handle the work-load. Now that my kids are older and more independent, I am ready to go back to work. I just wish that finding a job wasn't so difficult.

Going back to work will be a huge challenge for sure. Juggling four school kids and a full time job won't be easy. But I am ready to take that on. I miss being in the classroom. For a long time that wasn't true. I was too busy with my family to want anything else. But my kids are older now. They need me less. I find myself more restless. I find myself wanting more.

It will be a huge change for everyone if I get a job and go back to work. Our lives will certainly get busier. All the things I do during the day will still have to get done somehow. I was a working mom before and we did just fine. I am sure that it will be just the same. Sure it's different. I have four instead of two. But my kids are older and more capable of pitching in then they were the first time I worked.

So here's to transitions. Here's to my kids going back to school. Some for the first time. Here's hoping I find a decent job. Here's to the good life!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new school year and finding a job! I'm in the opposite position. I'm trying to figure out a way to work less and be home more....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always be a working Mom. My hubby is self employed so I carry the health benefits. I'm fortunate to work weekends though, so I'll be home during the week and we won't need to do daycare. Cheers to new beginnings and sending prayers for you to find a job!

    ReplyDelete