Monday, December 27, 2010

calm after the storm.

No, we didn't get any snow. Maybe an inch, which is disappointing for our children. The real storm is the Christmas Storm.

Christmas Eve was celebrated at my in-laws house. We arrived early afternoon and the kids played with existing toys and drooled over the pile of wrapped gifts under the tree. Paul's sister was in town from Oregon, which meant his immediate family was all together. We went to the children's mass and came back to the house for dinner and then it was presents time. All the kids were truly grateful for all of the gifts they received.

When the night was over we headed home. The kids were so tired they dove into their beds forgetting to leave cookies for Santa (so we put some crumbs on a plate and called it a night). Paul and I quickly set up the tree and stockings and we were off to bed ready for the next day.

Ironically I was the first one up. Soon after I went downstairs to make some tea the kids started to arise. They came down and were amazed by the piles of gifts under the tree. While Paul and I got ourselves together the kids tore through their stockings and you would have thought that they were in heaven. The squeals of delight were hysterical. Everything they got was greeted with shouts of joy. After the stockings we began to open presents. And before you know it, wrapping paper was everywhere and we had a house full of happy children.

After gifts, we did breakfast and started to get ready for the next adventure. We headed off to my grandmothers house for a short visit and then to my parents house. At my parents house the kids were once again greeted with a tree stuffed with gifts just for them. Again they tore through every gift and thanked everyone for everything. They were happy with all of it and weren't afraid to let the world know it.

After gifts we had a family dinner and then we all sat back and relaxed and enjoyed a great Christmas celebration. We spent the night at my parents house and came home the next day. Now, two days after Christmas we are slowly trying to find homes for all of our new toys. The kids are a bit overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they have and can hardly figure out what to play with first.

Christmas is my favorite. I love the church celebration as much as I love the family celebration. And I love this week where we can be lazy and enjoy all that we have and all that we have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment