Tuesday, June 7, 2011

projects I've done.

It turns out I have a thing for sewing. I might be the laziest sewer ever though because I don't like complicated projects and I often take short-cuts. In the past few weeks I have made a few purses. I started with one for me and then made two more. One for my MIL and one for a Cousin. Pictured below is a completed bag for my cousin and the fabric from my MIL's bag.

It is such an easy project to do. I put a few hours into each bag and love the results. I found this project at AC Moore and the fabric comes from jelly rolls that I buy from the store. The selection at AC Moore isn't huge but they always have something. It's fun because the rolls are tightly wrapped so you can't really see much but the first few strips. You don't know what you're getting until you get it home. 
Using coupons I can manage a bag for about $10, adding a snap is an extra $5!!! One magnetic snap is $5 again I can wait and use a coupon and get it for less. 
Second I got adventurous and made a dress for Catherine. This was far more ambitious and the most difficult thing I have ever made. It isn't perfect but it's wearable. I'm hoping to do better next time. It wasn't so awful that I'll never do it again. But I do have a lot to learn. For one thing, I need work on zippers. 


Yup, I made David model it for me. :-) I needed to see how the straps were attaching and Catherine wasn't home yet. He was a good sport about it, and asked me to take the picture. 

My next project will most likely be some curtains for the kitchen, if that goes well I'll see what it takes to get more curtains in other parts of the house.

I find that it's not always cheaper to sew things but it is more satisfying. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I still get stressed making dresses (and I've had a lot of practice). The hardest part I find is attaching the bodice to the skirt. I've seen many bloggers that take old clothing and make new clothes out of it to save money. Very creative!

    Check out these two links for examples: http://e-tells-tales.blogspot.com/2010/05/from-this-to-that.html
    and
    http://www.digthischickmt.com/2011/05/making-clothes-and-time-for-dates.html

    ReplyDelete